Now in its fourth year, the Lake Michigan Football Report’s Grand Rapids Combine has been both a venue for established players to defend their reputations, and unknown prospects make their names. Here are the outstanding offensive players from the 2016 LMFR Combine.
Nick Isley 6-2 200 Jr RB Rockford: He was Rockford’s leading rusher as a junior at a healthy 8 yards a pop. Look for him to explode as a senior with Tyler Bradfield having graduated. Isley showed off his physical bonafides here in what may have been the most dominating combine performance in the event’s four-year history. He recorded the top marks in the 40-yard dash, 4.47 seconds; powerball toss, 43-feet; and vertical leap, 35 1/4″.
Outstanding Offensive Prospect
Drew Couturier 5-10 145 Jr WR Allendale: He was the Lake Area All-Junior Team offensive MVP after a junior season in which Couturier made 14 TD catches. Now he follows that up with a big-time combine showing. Dismiss him because of his size at your own risk, he’s fearless and can fly. Even when he didn’t make the catch it could be spectacular, like when he laid out horizontal in the air just to get his hands on a throw. He repeatedly freed himself in his routes with initial quickness then breakaway speed. Couturier had the third-best 40-time, 4.54 seconds; No. 5 vertical leap, 33 1/3″; and top 10 pro agility drill, 4.25 seconds.
- OL Joe Hruska 6-4 265 Jr Kalamazoo Loy-Norrix
- OL Dane Stanbaugh 6-4 335 Jr Lake Odessa Lakewood
- OL Mason Shirrell 6-5 210 Jr Muskegon Orchard View
- OL Lane Potter 6-3 270 Jr Hudsonville
- OL Reide Klinger 6-4 280 Jr Jenison
- TE Austin Lewis 6-4 190 So Fennville
- QB Jakob Kurnat 6-0 150 So Byron Center
- RB Shane Tagg 6-0 195 So Byron Center
- RB Christopher Chin 5-11 195 Jr Byron Center
- WR Sam Neville 6-3 196 Jr Grand Rapids West Catholic
- WR Joshua Atwell 5-10 185 Jr Grandville